Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm gettin' married in the mornin'!!

Well, I got a wonderful bit of advice from Lars, to write down my experience. Besides that, I'm sure many of you want to know how it happened, since many have already asked how, even before it happened. So, here you are:

A number of months ago (Halloween to be exact), we were at a choir social at the institute here at the U. As the night started to wear on, a few of us gathered around Eliza, who was playing on the piano, and began to sing along with the hymns she was playing. One of the songs she played happened to be one of her favorites, "If You Could Hie To Kolob." I looked a little closer at the words, and an idea came into mind. I entertained it, and thought "If this really does happen, I might be able to do something like this." Of course, I basically did what I thought that night because it never went away. The picture of what to do was clear, and so as our relationship progressed and it became obvious that we would get married, I didn't change from the idea I had that night.

So fast forward a few months--December 25, 2007. I had debated the whole issue in my head many times, but I felt pretty sure of what I needed to do. So on Christmas morning, we had Christmas at the Clawson's, and went to the Olson's in the afternoon. While Eliza was in the shower, though, I managed to find a minute to chat with Bro. and Sis. Clawson. There I told them that we were thinking about marriage, and that I wanted permission to buy a ring (in other words, to marry Eliza). Bro. Clawson said yes, and so on Thursday, Dec. 27, I went and bought the ring. However, there was a problem. I wanted to give it to her as soon as I could, but since all the workers were on holiday break, nobody was there to work on her ring. So finally, on Monday, I got a call saying it was ready. I picked it up, and it was gorgeous. But as soon as I got it and realized what I was doing...yeah. It was weird to think that I had just bought a diamond ring. That night, though, I thought about the details of my plan, and found a time the following day that I could give it to her.


The Proposal

So on the evening of January 8, 2008, there was a gap of time between Eliza's last class (ending at 6:00) and our choir practice (starting at 7:30). Not much of a gap, but still a gap. I went and picked Eliza up from class, along with our really good friend Erin. So she went home and, somehow having figured out what was going on, got her camera to take pictures after our choir practice (thanks, Erin). So we left campus, and headed downtown. Eliza, not knowing where we were going, was content to sit back and wonder. After a while, we arrived at temple square. As we walked through the plaza, Eliza took a look at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and commented on the interesting design of the building. After we talked about that for a minute, I took her and we went into that interesting building. =D No matter how interesting the outside may be, the inside is beautiful! So we went upstairs, and not having much time, we just went straight to the chapel above the main lobby. If you haven't been there, you need to go! It's beautiful!

Early last week, I asked Eliza to find a story of one of her pioneer ancestors. She talked about a set of grandparents (how many greats?) and their journey to the Salt Lake Valley. As they were getting ready to get on the train, they set their baby boy down, and lost him. So they looked everywhere, and finally decided to pray. Just then, a strike of lightning flashed, and in that flash, they saw him under a bush. Really cool. After she shared that, I shared the story of my Great-Great Grandma and Grandpa Olson, Lars Erick and Anna Persson Olson. They were converted in 1880 in Sweden, and soon after emigrated to Utah. They left on April 1, 1884, and arrived in Ogden on April 27, 1884. Much shorter than the first pioneers. But there was a comment in Anna's history that caught my attention: "After hearing [the missionaries], Lars and Anna too became convinced that they were men of God, carrying the true message of Jesus Christ. As soon as it became known that these people were investigating this new religion, persecution began. To avoid this as much as possible, it was necessary to do the baptizing at night. Even in the winter when they had to dig a grave in the ice in order to get to the water, they did not lose faith--nothing could stop them. They were baptized in 1880." Nothing could stop them. That one really struck me. Even in the worst circumstances, the work keeps going. It was at this point that I gave Eliza's last Christmas present to her.

The card had on one side a picture of us on a trip to the Mount Timpanogas Temple, and the other had these words from If You Could Hie to Kolob:

"The works of God continue
And worlds and live abound.
Improvement and progression
Have one Eternal Round.

"There is no end union,
There is no death above,
There is no end to glory,
There is no end to love."

So for a few more minutes, I gave some thoughts on these verses. The works of God continue; nothing could stop Him, nor those who act on what they know is right. It doesn't matter what else happens, it'll keep going. "Improvement and progression have one Eternal Round." The rooms in the Salt Lake Temple make an interesting pattern. After starting in the Creation Room, and moving through the Garden, World, and Terrestrial Rooms, you end up in the Celestial Room, directly above the Creation Room. In the course of an endowment session, you make one full circle, ending up one level higher. So God's works never end, continuing forever on an upward road.

After musing on these thoughts, I asked her to read it all again out loud. She did, and the words touched us both. So I mentioned the line from Anna's history again. If we know something is right, nothing should stop us. Doing so, we'll always improve on God's path without an end. Then I asked "Do you want this to end?" Of course, she said no. "Neither do I. So, there is one solution. Do you know what the symbol is for an Eternal Round?" Silently, she nodded. So at that, I got on my knee and asked if she would marry me.

Hee hee, I never thought I'd do that. But I did, and she said yes. I've been so happy, and so has she. We are looking at a wedding on May 6, 2008, in the Manti Temple. And now you know the story.

5 comments:

red said...

You're Welcome. :D

Unknown said...

It wasn't actually my advice, it was the advice of my father-in-law. Thank you Bro. Peterson.

Although I personally think putting it on a blog is nice because people can comment on it. And if you remember a detail later on, it's easy to change. That advice was all me. Hooray blogs.

Unknown said...

I think that's one of the coolest ways to propose to your wife. All that intertwined symbolism and double entendres! I'm impressed!

Ms. Julie said...

Michael! This is fantastic! Your story, and your love for your sweetheart, are inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Love,
Cousin Julie

Laverna said...

I had to give Lizzy a hard time when she told me the proposal story.
"He gave you a sermon before proposing to you?!? He had you come prepared with a family history story?!?"
Seriously though, I'm glad that you know her well enough that you knew she would like that sort of thing.
I'm happy for the both of you. I've told you this already, but just as a last reminder: You'd better take care of my sister. She's the best thing that ever happened to you and if you hurt her, I'll break your knee caps.
Congratulations and good luck to the best of you!